Whitepaper to provide tangible tips for driving ‘active attention’ amongst consumers
EMERYVILLE, CA (August 25, 2015) – Exponential Interactive, one of the largest leading global providers of digital advertising solutions, reaching more than 600 million users each month, today released their whitepaper that discusses the significance of ‘engagement’ – and why the lack of understanding around user engagement leads to misaligned incentives, dissatisfying results and wasted dollars.
The paper titled, “Engagement: Not Just a Buzzword, The Art of Driving Active Attention with Your Next Consumer,” discusses how prioritizing engagement positively affects ad campaigns, including the five points below:
- Engagement should be discussed in terms of capturing conscious active attention – by looking at the brand as a learned behavior and attention as the allocation of mental resources to visible or conceptual objects.
- Big data is ultimately insufficient without effective application of engagement tactics because data by itself may be too convoluted, overvalued and intrusive.
- Emphasizing engagement is not only cost-effective, it aligns incentives for advertisers, publishers and vendors alike.
- Opt-in user interaction is best enhanced through video advertising and rich media – particularly with optimal use of the teaser and brand consistency in interactive elements.
- When measuring brand impact, advertisers should look at cognitive, emotional and physical engagement on a spectrum that is well-tailored to the specific campaign. This includes larger, brand awareness metrics such as purchase intent, sentiment and intent to seek more information to more physical metrics including conversion rate, dwell time and interaction rate.
“Our industry has used the term ‘engagement’ liberally for two decades, with little consensus on what it means. Instead, we turn around and optimize our advertising campaigns towards simplistic metrics that reward high-volume, low-involvement content,” says Bryan Melmed, vice president, insights services, for Exponential. “This isn’t working for anyone, especially brand advertisers. We need to think critically about why engagement is important in the first place and what metrics we can use that truly capture active user attention.”
The whitepaper can be found here: https://exponential.com/engagement-whitepaper/.
Exponential Interactive delivers innovative advertising experiences that transform the way brands interact with audiences across desktop and mobile. Exponential’s platform fuses one of the largest global digital media footprints and proprietary data with user-centric ad formats designed to drive engagement and action. Creativity and audience insights form the foundation for building smarter, more relevant solutions for advertisers and publishers. Exponential was founded in 2001 and has locations in 22 countries. For more information, please visit www.exponential.com.